Crypto Community Celebrates Bitcoin Pizza Day After Nine Years


Today, the cryptocurrency community is celebrating the 9th anniversary of the first “real-world” Bitcoin (BTC) transactions. Known as Bitcoin Pizza Day, on May 22nd, 2010, the developer Laszlo Hanyecz paid 10,000 BTC for two pizzas. Since that moment, the crypto community remembers that transaction.

Bitcoin Pizza Day

Virtual currencies continue to expand all around the world, but the Bitcoin Pizza Day continues to be celebrated by the crypto community. 9 years ago, Laslo Hanyecz conducted the first Bitcoin transaction that involved the purchase of two goods, in this case, two pizzas.

In order to make that happen, Hanyecz contacted a Bitcoin Talk forum user called “jercos” that accepted to purchase two pizzas for 10,000 and send them to his home.

At that time, Hanyecz wrote:

“I’ll pay 10,000 bitcoins for a couple of pizzas.. like maybe 2 large ones so I have some left over for the next day. I like having left over pizza to nibble on later. You can make the pizza yourself and bring it to my house or order it for me from a delivery place, but what I’m aiming for is getting food delivered in exchange for bitcoins where I don’t have to order or prepare it myself, kind of like ordering a ‘breakfast platter’ at a hotel or something, they just bring you something to eat and you’re happy!”

Hanyecz decided to send the funds to Jercos that completed the deal and sent him two Papa John’s pizzas to his home. However, this transaction became very expensive as time passed. 10,000 BTC right now, with Bitcoin price close to $8,000, this transaction would be worth $80 million. At the highest point reached by Bitcoin, these BTC would be worth $200 million.

Bitcoin is trying to expand all over the world by allowing users to pay for goods and services using the most popular digital asset. Nonetheless, it is currently difficult to have access to this digital currency and just a few shops are accepting the digital currency.

In order to celebrate this day, Huobi Global, a recognised crypto exchange, decided to sell Bitcoin for half of its price. Huobi currently has 1.5 million Tether (USDT) tokens that will be given away to users that purchase Bitcoin. These funds will be used 20% to pay for Bitcoin at half of its price and the remaining 80% of its funds will be sold at 12% off the market rate.

Huobi is one of the most popular crypto exchanges in the space with a trading volume of $1.42 billion. Indeed, according to CoinMarketCap, Huobi global is the seventh largest crypto exchange.

Try Out Binance Today

For over two years, UseTheBitcoin has done the research, covered the news, and helped readers find the best blockchain projects. The one thing we keep coming back to is Binance.

Binance has set itself apart as the best trading platform for beginners and experienced traders, and gives you hundreds of coins to invest in. Start trading today on Binance!

Source link